Getting Started With WordPress For Business (and Serious Bloggers!)
Have an idea for a business or blog and need to get a website up and running at minimal expense? These workshops will provide step-by-step instruction for using self-hosted WordPress and plenty of hand-holding where necessary! Get all your questions answered in a friendly,comfortable environment.
This is a 2 part workshop, although each part stands alone, so you may attend either day separately, or purchase both days at a discounted price.
Part 1 – The Basics – Installing and Using WordPress – Saturday, January 29th – 1:45pm – 4pm
Part 2 – Essential Features For A Successful Site – Saturday, February 5th – 1:45pm – 4pm
5405 Wilshire Blvd (2 blocks west of La Brea)
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Bring your laptop, this is a hands-on workshop!
Space is LIMITED so register early. There will be a max of 10 attendees on each day.
If you have any questions about the workshops, please email me: email@example.com
Part 1 – The Basics – Installing and Using WordPress – Jan 29th
You will need:
– A domain name registered and a webhosting account, and the usernames/passwords for your account. (Contact me if you need help setting up these things before the workshop)
The workshop will cover:
- How to install WordPress on your server
- Explanation of WordPress settings and options
- How to create content
- posts vs. pages
- categories, tags
- using images & media
- how to choose a theme
- resources for finding themes
- considerations, what to look for in a theme
- what are plugins?
- how to use and install plugins
- Backing up your site
- Blogging best practices
After Part 1 of the workshop you will be able to get your site running and add content to it.
Part 2 – Essential WordPress Features For A Successful Site – Feb 5th
You’ve got your basic site set-up, but what are some of the key features you’ll need for a successful business site or blog?
- RSS subscriptions
- what is RSS, why is it important
- rss via email and how to implement
- How to build an email list
- how to implement email subscriptions, best practices for email marketing
- Search Engine Optimization
- best practices and fundamentals
- Social Media
- Tools and tips for integrating your blog with your social media channels
- Track website traffic with Google Analytics
- installing Analytics
- understanding reports
- Making best use of your site’s ‘real estate’
- How to organize your site for your type of blog/business
- Useful plugins and resources
- question & answer time
If you plan on attending only Part 2 of the workshop, I recommend you already have a WordPress site installed since we will not be going over basic set-up.