Should You Worry About Your Bounce Rate?
A low bounce rate is often cited as a hallmark of a good website – 40% or lower is typically heralded as the goal. But does it really matter that much? The answer is “yes” and “no” depending on your goals and your site.
What does bounce rate mean?
“Bounce rate is the percentage of single-page visits or visits in which the person left your site from the entrance (landing) page” – from Google’s Analytics help pages.
When does bounce rate matter?
– If you have a sales or conversion process which requires the user to follow through multiple pages on your site
– If exploration of your site is important to you
– If you are trying to turn new visitors into loyal readers or customers
– If yours is a retail site and want people to shop around and make purchases
– If your homepage is not inducing further clicks, particularly if it contains blog excerpts or other ‘teaser’ content